Powerful methods to facilitate and build consensus
Prerequisite: None *
*Any Group Facilitation Methods course (In-Person, Live-Online or Self-Directed) is a prerequisite for most other ICA courses and all Programs.
Move beyond “seat-of-the-pants” facilitation and reliance on instinct, to use the most powerful facilitation methods and processes available. Learn step-by-step approaches to clear thinking, sound decisions, solid consensus and open dialogue.
Group Facilitation is a foundational course for professional facilitators and will give you a thorough grounding in facilitation practice.
This course has been endorsed by the International Association of Facilitators (IAF) as part of the Professional Facilitator Program to lead you to become a Certified Professional Facilitator (CPF). GFM alone covers many of the competencies required by the IAF.
The manual is downloadable in this self-directed course.
Theory is expanded through readings and videos of classroom lectures and interaction during in-person courses. These videos remain available for a year.
Most advanced tools have templates used to prepare for real client work. The templates carry key theory within them.
There are videos of instructors and participants using the tools in simulated case studies. This demonstrates best practice use of the tools and methods. These videos remain available for a year.
Stages, steps and procedures of each advanced tools are explained in detail.
This self directed course includes examples of products from actual clients as pictures, PDFs or powerpoints, so you know what can be achieved. These are downloadable.
The course includes assignments that help build confidence in your use of the tools and methods. Assignments can be done by yourself, but some must be done with a group you convene on your own for enhanced learning.
Your assignments can be uploaded to receive comments from ICA instructors or facilitators. You can contact them for further explanation.
Focus group energy on common goals
- Enable groups to form consensus
- Facilitate solid commitment to results
- Encourage group creativity
Build motivation and improve morale
- Help groups resolve conflict
- Build respect and trust in groups
- Create lively effective teamwork
- Generate positive interaction
Make groups more productive and effective
- Conduct easier, faster meetings
- Save time and money on meetings
- Involve participants in discussions
- Get more ideas into the mix
Price is CAD$1,345 plus applicable tax.
Thought Process at the Core of Facilitation
- Theory and levels of thinking
- Stages of individual and group thought process
- Disciplined use of stages and levels
The Power of the Method
- Impact on a group
- Live demonstrations of the method
- Applications and case studies
The Focused Conversation Method
- Demonstration of FCM
- Theory and levels of thinking
- Applications of FCM
- Designing focused conversations
- Practice leading conversations
Consensus Workshop Method
- Demonstration of Consensus Workshop
- Theory and group dynamics
- Applications of Consensus Workshop
- Designing Focus Questions
- Practice Consensus Workshops
Who is it For?
- Experienced facilitators by reinforcing what you are already doing well and pointing out those areas that need work.
- New facilitators by starting you out on a solid foundation with best practices used by professional facilitators around the world.
- Executives, managers and other leaders by acquainting you with key facilitation skills that will immediately enhance your leadership capacity.
- Consultants by showing how to engage your clients more effectively in discussions and solutions.
- Presenters and trainers who will get new practical tools that will enhance the adult learning principles they know are important.
- Anyone who wants to be assessed by the International Association of Facilitators as a Certifies Professional Facilitator (CPF)
Key Methods Taught
Learn two powerful methods to enhance your facilitation
The Focused Conversation Method provides a structure for clear dialogue and reflection, probes beneath the surface to the depth of a topic, encourages a diversity of perspectives and leads to decisions.
- Gets everyone participating
- Encourages a diversity of perspectives
- Provides a structure for positive dialogue
- Gets beneath the surface of a topic
- Builds common understanding
- Involves each group member
- Gets all the ideas into the mix
- Focuses the group consensus
- Builds an effective team partnership
- Enables you to facilitate large groups
Dr. David Burman
"ICA Associates Inc. provides the best training I have come across. Their decades of learning and development have resulted in methods unsurpassed by anyone else in the field."
"ICA methods have made a tremendous difference in my work. Many of my clients have benefited from them and they have generated positive results in some very tricky and challenging situations. I also make good use of the post course support and I always get first-rate advice."
Dr. Laura MacDonald
"I have used ICA methods in preparing for lectures, student assignments, professional presentations and leading meetings, and in all events they have proven to be invaluable in organizing and harvesting ideas to fruition."
Mary-Jane Jarvis Haig
"Thank you again for contributing effectively to our training curriculum aimed at developing the interpersonal skills of both staff and management."